MONKEY BAR GYM – Madison
Fitness For The Urban Jungle
No Machines, No Mirrors, No Shoes
This was the philosophy driving Jon Hinds when he founded MBG in January 2000. The first 100% functional training gym in the country!
This was a very daring step to take as all gyms at this time used machines for fitness…not the body! Jon argued that true health is based on the pure intuitive movements of running, jumping, crawling, climbing, reacting and rolling mixed with natural whole body alignment training and plant strong nutrition. Each individually is the most efficient means to it’s end…together the healthiest combination in the fitness industry.
- Natural Training – Running, jumping, crawling, climbing, reacting, rolling
- Restoration Yoga – B.A.S.E. and Eischens Yoga before and after training
- Plant-Based Nutrition – 80-90% or more nutrient rich plant strong foods!
The MBG way is simply what humans and all animals have done since we were young…practice daily to evolve all our movement skills to higher and higher levels! We strive to change the world of fitness from being one of isolation to one that helps people and the planet.
MBG Program and Classes
The Monkey Bar Gym training program has proven to be the most effective in the country for increasing strength, conditioning and balance for all life throws at you. Constantly varying strength and conditioning via, pure strength, stamina, power, endurance / strength, metabolic and speed components is the key!
People starting our MBG program can expect on average 17 pounds of fat loss and 5.4 pounds of muscle gain in the first 60 days!!
- Small group training
- Expert instructor leading every class
- All exercises scaled to every level of fitness
- Fun and safe workouts that get results
The MBG Strength Training Classes are called Body Power which constantly rotates between pure strength and/or power and metabolic training sessions. Expect to learn how to jump on boxes, climb on ropes, crawl across the floor, walk on your hands and much more
Our Conditioning Training classes are called Boot Camp and constantly rotate between agility, speed, stamina, core and metabolic conditioning. Expect to learn how to run properly, how to jump rope (one of the single best conditioning tools in the world taught directly by one of the originators!), learn agility ladders and much much more!
Our Alignment & Re-balancing classes are called: BASE yoga and Eischens yoga these classes are 100% about getting you healthy and happy! We all have mis-alignments, aches and pains and nagging injuries that slow or completely stop our ability to enjoy life, exercise or do any activity we like.
MBG Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Classes – Brazilian jiu jitsu is more than just a sport. It’s more than a martial art. It’s a way to change your life. MBG BJJ was the first in Wisconsin! Teaching BJJ in Madison since 1997 classes are taught by Black Belt and Pan Am Games and International World Champion Jon Hinds and Assistant Instructor Jordan Wilson.
Start Your Journey
- Free Consultation – Come in tell us all about your goals, tour the gym, and discuss membership options
- Massive Action Plan (M.A.P.) – A specific step-by-step guide on how to reach your goals. Our trainers will guide you the entire way, leaving nothing to chance
- Join the Classes – Attend the classes related to your goals, all led by our expert instructors.
- Track Your Metrics – See improvements and progress on a weekly basis whether you want to get stronger, faster, or lose weight
I’ve been training here for a little over 1 year now. The class-style workouts really help me stay motivated and the trainers have been great. There are classes that focus on building strength, high intensity interval workouts, stability/mobility and Eischens yoga. You will also see some crossover, with the yoga, for example, popping up in ways you might not expect.Jeff B.
Great gym. Enthusiastic and talented trainers. Excellent supportive environment. Whether you’re looking for stability, strength or power, Monkey Bar Gym will push you to new heights in any of these areas.Patrick S.